Former senior career diplomat and mining company chairman. Ambassador to 3 countries, including Peru. Strong track record in British trade and investment promotion in emerging or transitional markets. Energetic and resourceful, with outstanding personal and managerial skills. Fluent in Spanish and French.
• British Ambassador to Peru 2003-6. Worked closely with other leading mining country ambassadors, the mining majors, and government to promote a more business friendly regime in one of the world’s foremost mining countries.
• British Ambassador to Romania 1999-2002. Played a key role in steering Romania towards NATO and the EU. Instrumental in Mittal’s landmark acquisition of the Romanian national steel company.
• Governor of the Falkland Islands 1996-9 during a period of détente with Argentina, economic prosperity, and the first Falklands oil exploration round. Presided over constitutional reform and modernisation of the Falklands Government’s administrative system.
• Ambassador to Latvia 1993-6. Provided crucial diplomatic support for Cable and Wireless’ acquisition of the national terrestrial telephone company, Lattelekom, the biggest such deal of the year in Central Europe.
• Senior appointments in the FCO’s HR division 1986-9. As such, responsible for senior career management, and the efficient staffing of the Service at home and abroad.
• Previous postings in Washington as Congressional liaison, Zimbabwe, Portugal and Laos.
• Most recently, Chairman of Monterrico Metals plc, 2006-8, an AIM-listed copper mining company, before and after
its successful acquisition by a major Chinese mining consortium.
Key skills and experience
• Strong record of supporting British trade and investment in emerging and transition economies
• Sophisticated understanding of the interface between business and government in different countries and systems
• Very fresh first hand experience of the private sector
• Highly developed analytical, negotiating, influencing and presentational skills
• Outstanding managerial and HR experience
• Pragmatic, results-orientated, unstuffy, with a sense of humour.
• Masters in Politics from Edinburgh University
• Languages (varying levels) – Spanish, French, Portuguese, German